More To The Story: Meet NC Associate Justice Barbara Jackson
Barbara Jackson is the only candidate on the ballot this November who has judicial experience – in fact, Jackson is currently a sitting NC Supreme Court Justice.
Jackson was elected in 2010 for the seat vacated by Justice Brady after defeating Judge Bob Hunter with 51.87% of the vote.
Jackson is a recipient of the highest honor one can bestow on a North Carolina citizen, The Order of the Long Leaf Pine. She is also a Fellow at the North Carolina Institute of Political Leadership.
According to her biography on her campaign website, Justice Jackson was selected by NC Supreme Court Chief Justice Mark Martin to be one of 5 co-chairs of a newly formed commission on the Administration of Law and Justice. As part of that commission, Jackson was tasked with exploring the use of technology in the courts.
Given that the other candidates in the race for the NC Supreme Court have demonstrated they intend to embody politically partisan and progressive Democrat positions if elected, it’s important to see how Jackson stands apart from them. In this regard, one answer Jackson gave during a 2010 candidate survey stands out and is consistent with Jackson’s current campaign:
How do you define yourself politically? How does that impact your judicial approach?
Obviously, it is a matter of public record that I am a registered Republican. However, my office is nonpartisan and I sincerely believe that my decisions have been nonpartisan, always choosing to follow the law, rather than a partisan agenda. I have always sought to follow my judicial philosophy, which is grounded in the fact that North Carolina's Constitution contains a mandatory separation of powers clause. I believe that it is the duty of the judicial branch to judge fairly and impartially, and within the limitations provided by the constitution and laws of the state. Judges should judge, not legislate. During my five years on the Court of Appeals, I have done my best to stand by this philosophy, and I pledge to continue to do so if elected to the Supreme Court.
Bio of Associate Justice Barbara Jackson
Name: Barbara Jackson
Birthdate: December 25, 1961
Political Affiliation: Republican
Current Position: NC Supreme Court Associate Justice (Elected Nov. 2010)
- Master of Laws in Judicial Studies, Duke University School of Law (2014)
- Juris Doctor, University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill (1990)
- Meredith College Legal Assistants Program (1986)
- Bachelor of Arts, University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill (1984)
- Judge, North Carolina Court of Appeals (2005-2010)
- General Counsel, North Carolina Department of Labor (2001-2004)
- Associate, Holt York McDarris, LLP, Raleigh, North Carolina (1996-2001)
- Deputy General Counsel, North Carolina Governor's Advocacy Council for Persons with Disabilities (1992-1996)
- Associate General Counsel to Governor James G. Martin & Assistant Legal Counsel to Governor James G. Martin (1991-1992)
- Research Assistant to the Honorable Burley B. Mitchell, Jr., (then Associate) Justice of the North Carolina Supreme Court (1990-1991)
Justice Jackson on Social Media
Justice Jackson’s Campaign Information
- Campaign Website: http://justicejackson.com/
- Campaign Address: O. Box 10243 Raleigh, NC 27605
- Telephone: 919-617-1514
- Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/reelectjusticejackson/
Watch Our Latest Video Here: